Friday, February 6, 2009

Where Else Can We Go?

These words were stated by the disciples after Jesus’ hard words had the crowd go away. He asked them if they were going to leave Him too. They had seen so much. They knew how special Jesus was and everything else was frankly, infinitely less.

I think of myself and wonder why everything else is at the very least tempting, if not downright irresistible. I see how quickly I go from deep worship with my face aglow from being in His presence, to chasing after some vain thing then back to my senses in repentance. I am a flip flopper.

I am weak. I have a ton of training and an equal amount of practice. I know so much they ask me to teach and lead, but I am deeply flawed (if you have trouble believing this just ask my family). I like people to think that I have it together. I want them to trust me, and I want to help them in their own weaknesses, but I am in great need of the aid myself.

I am realizing that I need the gospel. I don’t need to re-experience the prayer that finished a transaction that God began before the foundation of the world (to move from darkness into His light). I need to be reintroduced to the grace of God and the author of that grace. I need to see that my heart is darker than I imagined and be reminded that God loves me more than I ever dreamed possible.

If you are like me 2008 is already so last year! I quickly took down our Christmas stuff and flipped open a new calendar and pressed on to the next thing. Before last year gets too far out of your rearview mirror, take some time to reflect on the goodness and mercy of God. Proclaim all the good things He has done and be thankful. While you’re at it, give Him your heart anew. Ask Him to give you a fresh sense of His presence that will walk you through all of 2009.

Ask God to let this be a year where we live above our circumstances, trust Him and give Him access to us in ways we have never experienced Him before. His mercies are new every morning and His faithfulness is great to the heavens (Lam. 3:22-24). Isn’t it time we finally get it like the disciples did—"Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God." John 6:68-69
How would you like to see God’s face shine on you this year? God’s richest blessings to you and your family this new year!

No comments:

Blog Archive