Monday, April 11, 2011

Ball State and Student Venture

What started out as an opportunity to get my money back on some baseball tickets and a campus showcase for Melissa, our future freshman daughter, turned into an opportunity to challenge a handful of Ball State students to launch a Student Venture movement in the Muncie, IN area.

I let my Facebook friends know I had some Cubs tickets to sell and a Cru Intern at Ball State (Zach) said he was interested. We emailed back and forth for a bit until he needed to talk directly to get a few questions answered. While on the phone he asked about where we were in our plans to launch SV in Muncie. I said we had no options currently. I told him I would be bringing Melissa the followingThursday to visit the campus, go to the Cru meeting, and hand in her portfolio to the School of Art. I asked if he might know any students who would be interested in talking about an SV launch and he said he would put out feelers. When I first got back with him he said there were 3 girls. I sent him an email with a short assignment to have interested students do before we met and he responded with excitement about the meeting while informing me that we were up to five planning on attending!

I was excited about the opportunity, especially since Melissa would be there to share some of her experience as a student in the movement and a student leader! I understand that Ball State is doing a very good job discipling students and that foundation will be great for those who will help us launch. It is also a “Teacher’s College” in that they have been well known since before I went off to college as the place to go for an Education Degree. I see this as a nice dovetail of two of our priorities – Cru partnership for SV launch and recruiting (future) teachers to join us as Great Commission laborers. The meeting went great and there are 3 or 4 students who seem more than interested, more like impassioned to help us pull this off.

Lofty dreams with so little actual activity at this time. Then I remind myself – isn’t that the definition of faith!
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen!.” Hebrews 12:1

Pray with us!
My prayer is that I will be able, by God’s Spirit to cast vision, create a realistic picture of a call to serve with us and prepare for a fall launch with these students. A more long term goal would be to see BSU turn into a rich labor pool for high school workers, both full time SV staff and interns. I also have been praying for God to raise up Cru "Win, Build, and Send" Trained laborers heading into secondary education throughout the region who will partner with us to launch everywhere!

Family Highlights

Spring Break in Chicago
Hit the Art Museum, shopping on the Magnicent Mile, caught a Cubs game, picture at the "Bean", Giardano's Pizza and a ride on the "L"!

Melissa Chooses a University
Ball State and Melissa agreed that they are a match for each other! She was admitted to the College of Fine Art and will study Photography and Art Education.

The Spring Includes
Baseball, track, soccer, weight lifting, getting a driver's license and graduation. All of this plus the other activities that keep the Livermore household hopping!

Finish Strong!
Pray that we would all finish the school year strong. We would display faithfulness, perseverance, hard work & joy!

No comments:

Blog Archive